• Register

Where we work

mapNamibia is in located in the southwestern coast of Africa forming part of the Southern Africa region.
Development Aid from People to People runs three development projects in Namibia, and activities started in 1990.

Namibia is generally a dry country and the Namib Desert covers 15 % of the total land area. The Namib desert is composed of sand dunes, gravel plains of deeply eroded canyons such as the Fish River. 1 % of the land is arable in Namibia and 32 % of the population live in urban areas. The remaining 68% of the population live in the semi arid rural areas.

Namibia gained its independence in 1990 from the South African government under the leadership of President Sam Njoma. Inter-racial reconciliation encouraged the country's white people to remain, and they still play a major role in farming and other economic sectors. The economy of Namibia is stable, based on mining, fisheries, agriculture and tourism.

The country has not been spared from the HIV/AIDS epidemic and the government of Namibia is putting effort to control HIV/AIDS.

 

No

Description

Quantity

 

1

Population size

 

2 million

2

Area

 

825.418 million km2

3

Life expectancy at birth

44.3 years

 

4

Adult literacy level

 

83 %

5

Primary school enrolment ratio

78 %

6

Under 5 mortality rate

67 per 1000 live births

7

HIV/AIDS prevalence

21.3 %

 

8

United Nations Development Index

126

 

 

Where we work